Our COVID-19 Response
At Atlas Air Worldwide, the safety of our passengers, employees, contractors and supplier partners is our top priority. We continue to employ our comprehensive COVID-19 protocols, adding extensive precautions to our existing safety and sanitization protective measures in order to deliver on our commitments to safety.
As we continue with our global operations, we are proud to play a critical role in transporting passengers and keeping the global supply chain moving amidst this challenging time. In fact, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has stated that transportation is a critical infrastructure sector , which includes all aviation workers. This is a testament to the very important work our teams are doing to keep the global supply chain moving during this challenging time, ensuring the delivery of pharmaceuticals, medical equipment, education supplies, food and other daily necessities to communities around the world. Now more than ever, we care for the world we carry.
Recognizing that no single mitigation strategy alone is adequate, Atlas Air Worldwide has adopted a multi-layered approach to promoting safe practices and mitigating the spread of COVID-19 in our network, in line with industry practices, government recommendations in countries where we operate, and requirements and information from the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), aviation administrations in countries around the world, as well as U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO).
Our approach includes heightened communications around requirements and practices, promoting social distancing and face coverings, health screenings for passengers and crews and additional extensive sanitization especially in common areas.
Following are details around the protocols our world-class ground and flight operations staff will implement to help ensure a safe traveling experience:
Aircraft Preparation and Cleaning
- High-grade disinfectant and multi-purpose cleaners approved by the CDC are utilized to perform a thorough cleaning of the cabin before and after each flight, including frequently touched surfaces such as lavatories, galleys, tray tables, window shades and armrests; headrest covers are replaced for each flight and magazines are removed from aircraft.
- A fogging system is used to sanitize the cabin prior to each customer flight. The process takes six hours to complete and one hour of closed doors before anyone may board the plane.
- The cockpit area is disinfected by maintenance personnel in accordance with Boeing guidance.
- Atlas Maintenance crews replace the cabin recirculation filter in accordance with our FAA approved maintenance schedule. The filtration system circulates the cabin air up to 30 times an hour, far exceeding hospital standards. The team ensure filters are HEPA filters capable of filtering the SARS COV-2 particles associated with COVID-19
Preflight Screening and Ongoing Preventive Measures
- All Atlas employees, suppliers and passengers must participate in temperature checks and must be at 100.4 or below in order to board the plane.
- In addition, anyone who exhibits symptoms of coronarvirus, such as cough, chills, muscle pain, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, sore throat or recent loss of taste or smell will not be allowed near the aircraft or to participate in operations.
- All Atlas employees, suppliers, flight attendants crews and passengers are required to wear facemasks during flights.
- Atlas will have surgical flat style masks available for passengers who do not have their own mask.
- Crew will wear face coverings when social distancing cannot be maintained and when it does not interfere with operations.
- Passengers may remove facemasks during food service.
Temporary Changes to the Onboard Experience
- Certain changes have been made to food and beverage service for charter passenger flights, including the elimination of pre-departure service and self-service (buffet-style) offerings.
- Pre-packaged in-flight snacks will be distributed with serviettes and beverage and meal service will be minimized.
- Disposable linens and drinkware will replace reusable items.
- In lieu of hot towels, hand sanitizer will be distributed to passengers.
We thank our employees and customers for sharing our commitment to safety.